"On Average We Spend 40% Of Our Time Lost In Thought..."

About a year ago, a friend of mine strongly suggested I practice meditation... He had noticed that I was repeating patterns of behavior that seemed to frustrate me, and cause pain in my life. I attempted sitting down for a few weeks to practice. Let's just say that if I had to label something a failure in my life it would have been trying my hand at meditation! I think I committed to about a two days of sitting down with my thoughts. My thoughts won out, and I ended up repeating the painful pattern again and again. All that said, I've studied mindfulness and the idea of serious meditation, and I'm intrigued but terrified at what I might find or lose - call that my ego. Enter this TedTalk...



I was absolutely blown over by the comment that 40% of our day is spent lost in thought. What Andy Puddicombe, a Mindfulness Expert, highlights here is that we lose out on the present, and thus creativity and innovation. We are so caught up in the bullshit that we lose out on what's happening now. And, frankly, we are judged on the present moment, and not our future self. Thus, doesn't it behoove us to keep closer to mindful behavior? So, now on to a few deep breaths...

Comments